Ronnie Cutrone (1948-2013)Marking(s); notes:
signed; from an edition of 3 per consignor; 1972Country of origin; materials:
American; screenprint on paper, paper/plastic (glasses)Dimensions (H, W, D):
37"h, 40.5"w; 41.25"h, 45.5"w frameAdditional Information:
Print titled "Andy and the White Rabbit" was printed from a photo taken by Ronnie Cutrone at The Factory immediately after he placed the rabbit on the table where Andy Warhol was having lunch and drawing, catching both the artist's and Warhol's reactions. The consignor, who was a personal friend of Ronnie Cutrone, noted this as the first example of the stereoscopic photographs Cutrone was known to have made, and that it was produced in an unnumbered edition of three. Ronnie Cutrone was known for many contributions to the New York Pop Art scene from the 1960s on. Beyond his own work, primarily large-scale paintings of popular cartoon characters, he served as Andy Warhol's assistant for ten years (including liquid contributions for Warhol's infamous Oxidation Paintings) and was a fixture in the gallery and nightclub scene of the time. His New York Times obituary, published July 26, 2013, goes on to describe Mr. Cutrone as "equally renowned as someone who had known almost everyone, and tried almost everything, in the New York art world of the 1960s and after, bridging the sea change from Pop to punk." The obituary also references the series of stereoscopic photographs Cutrone took in The Factory documenting daily life and visitors to Andy Warhol's studio. Lot is accompanied by the 3D glasses the consignor had made for enhanced viewing of the print. Provenance: Gift from artist | Private Collection, Miami, Florida.Fall/Winter 2022 Auction Schedule
- Thu. 12.1.22: LUXE - Branded Luxury Boutique Auction
- Sat. 12.3.22: Modern & Contemporary Art + Design
- Sat. 1.21.23: UCA - Pop & Urban Culture Auction
- Now consigning: February 2023 Modern & Contemporary Art + DesignBidder FAQs
- Live and video preview are available, as are high resolution photos. Please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The buyer's premium is 28% across all methods of bidding.
- We highly recommend obtaining shipping quotes in advance. A list of shippers is available on our website under "Buying" or by request.
- All bidders should read and understand the Terms & Conditions of Auction. The T&C can be reviewed when you register, via the listing, on our website under "Buying" or by request.
good, slight undulation, some creasing, not examined outside frame (condition of art only)All bidders in our auctions should be aware of the following:
Lots are sold "AS IS" as described in the Terms & Conditions of Auction. Statements regarding the condition of objects are only for general guidance and do not constitute a representation, warranty or assumption of liability by Palm Beach Modern Auctions. PBMA strives to provide as much information as possible about items, including multiple photos, dimensions and condition reports. Some condition issues may not be noted in the condition report but are apparent in the provided photos which are considered part of the condition report. All bidders are encouraged to inspect items of interest in person and ask any questions they may have prior to bidding as well as review all points in the Terms & Conditions.